When do I need an attorney?

If you believe you have been injured or wronged through the fault of another, whether an individual, business, or other entity, you should consult with an attorney. By doing so, you can better understand your rights and options and then make an informed decision about how to proceed.

How should I select an attorney?

The attorney you select should be knowledgeable and experienced in the area of law that controls your case. Also, you should select an attorney who is recognized in their field and respected by their peers.

 At Faulkner & Graves, we concentrate on representing people who have been injured or killed through the fault of another person, whether due to a car accident, a fall, dog bite, defective product or other wrongful act. The attorneys of our firm have achieved high ratings for legal ability and ethical conduct.  See our Awards page for details.

Will I have to pay anything for my first meeting at Faulkner & Graves?

We do not charge for the first office consultation. Also, if you are hospitalized or confined to your home, one of our attorneys will come to you at your request.  Virtual appointments are also available.

How will I pay for an attorney?

Most accident and personal injury cases are taken on what is called a “contingency” basis. This means that rather than bill you directly for our services, we will take a percentage, typically one-third, of whatever settlement or jury verdict we achieve for you. This means that we don’t get paid unless you are compensated.

What am I entitled to be compensated for in a personal injury lawsuit?

If you are successful in pursuing your case, you may be entitled to recover monies for the following types of damages and losses (both past and future): (1) medical expenses, (2) property damage and rental costs, (3) lost wages, (4) impaired earning capacity, (5) pain and suffering, (6) permanent disability, (7) scarring or disfigurement, (8) restrictions on activities, (9) emotional distress; and (10) loss of consortium.

How long do I have to make a claim against someone who injured me?

Accident and personal injury matters are governed by strict time limits called statutes of limitations that make it important for victims to take action soon after an accident to ensure time for proper investigation of the claim and to prevent it from being barred or prohibited by the passage of time. Some types of cases also have additional notice requirements that  require a notification be sent to the person or entity at fault within a very short amount of time (sometimes as little as thirty or sixty days from the accident). Because of these various requirements, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible after your accident so your rights may be protected.

My car was damaged in an accident. Who pays my property damage?

Property damage arising out of a car accident can be paid by either your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company, depending on the type of coverage each person has. As with the payment of medical bills, how property damage bills are paid depends upon the particular facts of your case. We can help you sort out this issue as well as related issues, like securing a rental vehicle. 

Who pays my medical bills?

Depending on your individual situation, there are various sources of payment such as medical payment benefits through auto insurance, homeowners insurance, or business insurance policies, private health insurance, state assistance, medicare, or worker’s compensation. When we meet with you, we can help you sort out this issue.

What should I bring to our first meeting?

You should bring any documents or other materials you have that are related to your case. For example, if you were in a car accident, you may have and should bring with you the police report, your own insurance policy, medical reports or bills and photographs of your car or injuries. We understand, however, that at the start of a case, many people do not have anything to bring with them. It is not a problem if you do not have any of these items, because after we meet with you, the attorneys and staff at Faulkner & Graves will work to compile the necessary documentation to support your case.

My accident happened out of state, can you still help me?

Yes, Faulkner & Graves can still help you.   And if necessary, we are able to refer cases to the premier lawyers in every state.